The Gold Standard Chorus is currently looking for a new Music Director.
The person in this position will be responsible for developing and leading the musical and artistic performance of the Gold Standard Chorus, in collaboration with the Music Team, in a way that is consistent with our mission and vision statement.
The Gold Standard Chorus is a Charlotte-based a cappella men’s chorus committed to musical excellence in a supportive environment of respect, friendship, and fun. We seek a high level of entertainment and musical artistry in competition and performance. It is our vision to be a diverse, inclusive group of performers who constantly raise the bar for men’s a cappella as an active chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society and across all genres of vocal entertainment. The Gold Standard Chorus is a perennial Top 5 finisher in Carolinas District competitions, having won the District championship in 2016.
The time commitment for our Music Director includes:
- Weekly rehearsals (Monday evenings, 7:30-10pm)
- Music team meetings, at least bi-monthly
- Periodic weekend activities, including two concerts per year as well as directing us in our annual Carolinas District convention
- Other performances as scheduled
The Music Director’s musical knowledge and directorial skills greatly influence the growth and the quality of the Gold Standard Chorus musical program. The responsibilities include:
- Continuing to grow the performance level of the Gold Standard chorus and provide a compelling weekly rehearsal experience for its members.
- Partnering with the members of the Music Team. Coach and develop assistant directors. Supporting the chapter administrative team.
- Developing a yearly musical vision with goals for the chorus in consultation with the Music Team as approved by the chapter Board of Directors
- Selecting music, in collaboration with the Music Team
- High level of preparation for weekly chorus rehearsals, based on a three-month calendar developed with the Music Team
- Directing all public performances of the Gold Standard Chorus or delegating the direction duties to an assistant director or another member of the Music Team
- Seeking to further your skills as a director through appropriate learning opportunities and support for outside coaching for the chorus
- Utilizing the talents and skills of all members of the Gold Standard Chorus to continuously bring the chorus to new levels
The Music Director should be a well-organized, dependable, and strong leader whose creativity and musical skills advance The Gold Standard Chorus to the next level. An ideal candidate has:
- Prior choral directing experience or similar educational study
- Experience directing or performing acapella singing is required. Experience with the Barbershop art form is preferred.
- Intuition for musical interpretation and an intimate understanding of the vocal and visual elements necessary to create an effective performance
- Strong understanding of vocal pedagogy and ability to demonstrate effectively to a large group
- Experience with barbershop art form, either in a quartet or with a chorus, is preferred but not required
- Concise communication skills. A detail-oriented mindset and ability to communicate complicated artistic concepts effectively and consistently.
- Positive attitude and the ability to inspire singers to reach high standards through inspiration and constructive feedback, in balance with the culture and camaraderie of the chapter.
- A desire to increase the chorus’s profile within the Charlotte metropolitan artistic community.
- Passion to continually improve your musical and directing skills. Willingness to work with outside coaches
- willingness to allow the support of skilled performance personnel where needed and seek improvement in accord with Music team.
Please contact Steve Curulla to apply or for more information. We look forward to hearing from you!